The Evolution of Social Networking

10 years ago, ‘social media’ was not a buzzword, Facebook was just a baby, there wasn’t ‘an app for that’ and most of these other websites didn’t even exist yet. I’m going to take you on the journey through the years of evolving social sites so you can see just how far we’ve come. Written by Juliet Rocco

Every few years, a new social platform is discovered and continues to alter the social landscape. In this list, I’ve comprised some of the most popular websites used at the peak of their popularity. Some of you may have even adopted these accounts before they became mainstream. It’s time to go back in time. Are you ready?

1. The Beginning: It all started out so innocent, possibly with a Xanga account in the early ‘00s where you could ‘blog’ about 7 Minutes in Heaven, drama with friends and other silly middle school things. Your account could be set to private or you could follow all of your friends, but everyone had weird usernames. Mine was DEVils_QuEEn91 or something like that. Internet security and online predators were fresh topics at this time, so parents were skeptical about letting their kids do anything besides homework and playing pinball on the computer.

xangascreen

2. AOL Instant Messenger: AIM was the first place teens and tweens had a place to chat besides their home phones. You could post a customized “status” a.k.a. an Away Message and be passive aggressive towards someone or complain about how much homework you had to do. If you were a girl, your screen name probably had lots of x’s in it. It was a great place to gossip or talk to your crush, and you probably got into an argument with SmarterChild at some point too. Chat rooms were scary, I stayed away from those.

smarterchild-356x325

3. Finding Friends on Friendster. I didn’t have one of these accounts, but it was similar to MySpace, which everyone quickly moved to once Friendster was deemed uncool and Myspace was the fun new place to go to by early 2004.

friendsterboughtbymol

4. Ah yes, Myspace. Some guy named Tom was your first friend, greeting you with that memorable friendly grin. You could see how many people viewed your profile or specific photos. Also, the falling hearts HTML code and music choices were crucial for your homepage. You knew how to work your most attractive poses in photos (which were mainly bathroom mirror shots and an occasional duckface). Eventually, people started using Myspace less and less, getting bored of it.

Tom_profile

5. YouTube: This was the next obsession by early 2007. You didn’t know it at the time, but this was to become one of the greatest procrastination websites of all time. “I’m just gonna watch this one music video”…and 10 videos later you’re watching a panda sneeze and laughing hysterically. Justin Bieber was just a kid from Canada, uploading videos of his singing and playing for family members. YouTube didn’t have advertisements playing before videos at this time either, which is something I miss.
One of the first YouTube videos I remember seeing was Potter Puppet Pals

727820263_1370274328

6. ‘THE’ FACEBOOK happened! You started poking people, writing “like” or “love” in a status because there wasn’t a Like button yet. Facebook was actually limited to college students for some time before hitting the high school scene. I was one of the last ones to join in on all of the fun by Summer 2008. Parents caught on soon after, but for the most part people were okay with having their parents be friends with them, thanks to privacy settings.

the-original-profile-this-is-when-zuckerberg-and-friends-were-working-out-of-harvard-dorms

7. Tweet Tweet: By 2009, Twitter became the hot new social site. Twitter was different, a new microblogging platform where people could tweet in rapid fire during sporting events, TV shows or rant about their day-to-day lives. Being limited to 140 characters or less in a tweet made you choose your words very carefully. The hashtag took on an entirely new meaning and people definitely overused it (and still do).

twttr1

8. Tumblr & Pinterest 2011: I’m putting these two together because they work in a similar way. Tumblr was always the hipster kid of the social platforms. If you want to repost lots of photos and create dream boards, then Pinterest is for you. I was never a huge fan, but they have continued to grow and maintain a strong following.

pinterest-secret-meme

9. Instagram was next: Finally, a place where everyone could upload photos of what they were eating or drinking with some cool filters mixed in! If you love sunsets and long walks on the beach, Instagram is probably the best place for you. This is currently the most popular social networking tool amongst teens. The ‘selfie’ was also born and is now an official word in the English dictionary. Look it up…

Meanwhile_On_Instagram

10. Vine and Instagram video: By 2013, these two became the latest and greatest tools for short videos and speedy sharing. Amazing Vines and VineLoop are really fun accounts to follow.

Vine-vs-Instagram-Video-App-Pros-Cons

11. I wanted to save this one for last: LinkedIn is the only social account that you probably don’t use on a regular basis, but you really should! It’s actually how I ended up getting my new job, by being contacted by a recruiter. If you’re not on LinkedIn and you’re in college or have graduated, you need to create a strong LinkedIn profile! Get started here: http://mashable.com/2013/11/17/linkedin-tips-2/

2f25658

12. So what’s next? BuzzFeed and Thought Catalog are great examples of new leaders in the social atmosphere, where users like you and I can contribute blog posts to be chosen and promoted on their websites. These two are tailored for twenty-somethings. Blogging has always been popular, but BuzzFeed and Thought Catalog put a refreshing twist on creating content that has incredible reach and sharing capabilities.

Mystery-Box

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “The Evolution of Social Networking

1. I enjoy, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my 4 day
    long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.
    Bye

2. Damion says:

My brother suggested I might like this web site.
    He was entirely right. This submit truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine just how so much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

3. Jack says:

All the essential codes needed by i – Phone app developers are created by IB.

RSS feeds are the most convenient way to stay up to date with
    news from your favorite websites and digital media publications.
    Completing the three battery stages actually lengthens your battery lifespan.

4. Berniece says:

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it
    on 16 spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help you to increase traffic.
    I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tricks

5. Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.

Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but
    I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.
    Do you have any points or suggestions? Appreciate it

6. Henry says:

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and
    I’m looking at options for another platform.
    I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

7. Johnnie says:

Thanks for finally talking about >The Evolution of Social
    Networking | Biz*ness <Loved it!

8. Just about download call of duty advanced warfare every activity of them.

Faster, in cases where you dispense of the video game store employee for
    recommendations on games will require people to overcome the protection the
    manufacturers apply. When you are doing something, but
    never written down.

9. Shantae says:

magnificent issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
    What would you recommend about your submit that you made some days ago?
    Any sure?

10. Flor says:

Good write-up. I absolutely appreciate this site. Continue the good work!

11. Tangie says:

This was so helpful and easy! Do you have any areiclts on rehab?

12. Rene says:

He will love it too loose dog training techniques either.
    Soon you will need this tool. Learn more from the shock programming
    if possibly and this will develop into a valued member of dog training techniques our currency.
    These commands are easier for you to train their pets into a puppy’s normal routines.

13. This responsible dog guardian is essential since in the market today is the prize.
    Also, if that collar is a must. And don t forget the pinch collar and a
    treat or two about the breed and health and well we should make them
    obedient and friendly environment dog training and the attention. Today is in the
    dog training leash to their masters. Training your dog: Crucial Points to Bringing up a favorite treat, a long way.

14. Ei nu -și exprime sentimentele și emoțiile lor în ședința inițială
    . Uneori, oamenii vâna pentru o rețea socială adult folosind cuvântul cheie ” facebook crescut – up ” .
    Scena este setat la Venezia , în centrul de secolul 18 .

15. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog
    and was curious what all is required to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

16. Take into account that you can even change the games to suit everyone and anyone.
    As family guy the quest for stuff cheats the final line.
    Moreover, get the latest pop single, family guy the quest for stuff cheats possibly.

17. Turtle Beach Ear Power Z2 review; Turtle Beach Z6A 5.1 evaluation;
    Razer Tiamat overview: consolation Bryan Edge-Salois,
    PC Sport Examiner.

18. It is rather important to get these drugs from a dependable vendor as this can permit
    you to be guaranteed that you’re getting what you might be
    expect.