It took me 5 months after graduating college to land the right job. Good grades and work experience almost didn’t seem like enough. Here’s what I went through in a 5-month period that I’m sure would prepare any future college grad for the adventure that lies ahead. By Juliet Rocco
1. It’s time to enter the big bad world. The first thing you must do is sit down and try to remain calm while you figure out life after college.
2. Once that lightbulb turns on, you head to the job boards! (Indeed, Monster, CareerBuilder, Zip Recruiter, Creative Hotlist, it goes on…)
3. When the job title and duties don’t align. i.e. “Get coffee and supplies for the office, train people on iPads, schedule traveling plans.”
4. You fill out countless applications online and become an expert at cut/copy/paste functions
5. There’s a point where you probably send out over 50 applications and think there’s no response because your email is some kind of black hole time warp
6. You get a phone call or e-mail asking to set up an interview!
7. You’re afraid you’ll say something stupid in your phone interview though
8. Then it’s time to go through 2 or 3 more interview rounds if they like you, sometimes meeting for a few hours each time. Remember how many other people want this job as badly as you do
9. You get a call or an email back saying you didn’t get the job
10. You start to wonder if you’re ever going to find the right job…
11. After months of grueling interviews and playing the waiting game, you finally get the perfect offer!
12. Congrats, you can pay your bills now!